Ok, so probably you have promised yourself that you will be leading more balanced lifestyle this year, you will schedule some ‘me time’ and so on, right? Right. So here it is why it really is important and how to walk your talk:
Here are six strategies to help you make self-care an essential part of your daily life:
- Make time for it. Set aside time each day to practise self-care. Even if it’s just a few minutes, or as long as an hour or two, make a date with yourself and do something that makes you feel good or relaxed.
- Don’t double-book. If a friend or co-worker wants to see you or needs a favour during your self-care time, tell them you’re busy. Because you are busy. Busy looking after yourself!
- Be prepared. Have a list handy of self-care activities that you like, or want to try. Some possible options include: swimming, walking, meditating, napping, reading, watching TV, doing yoga or breathing exercises, cooking, drawing, playing sport, hanging out with pets, gaming or journaling. Have you missed anything? Put it on the list!
- Tune-in. At the start of your self-care ‘date’, take a moment to tune in to how you’re feeling at that very moment. What self-care activity would work best for you right then?
- Learn to switch off. This can be hard, especially if you’re used to thinking about your school or work problems at home. But self-care is the time to focus only on you! If switching off is a challenge for you, try doing something that diverts your attention, such as solving a puzzle or reading a book.
- Learn some quick fixes. If you’re absolutely frazzled and short on time, learn some strategies that you can focus on for just a few minutes. Breathing exercises and stretching are great, as you can do them quickly and just about anywhere!